Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Still just a little guy

Sometimes I forget that our youngest is still 2 years old.  He is so tall and talks all the time, and I think of him as older than he really is.  One of the things that I have forgotten is that he still needs naps.  If I get busy I just say its OK he'll just go to bed early tonight.  He can make it, but last week taught  me a lesson as a reminder that he still needs naps!  He had skipped napping that day, I don't remember why we were out and about and had gotten busy I am sure.  That afternoon we had been over at the little girls next door's house.  When it was time to leave to go home and make dinner, Garrett had a small  melt down about not wanting to leave his best friend.  I don't blame him she is pretty cool but we also have to eat so I made him leave.  He yelled at me and hit me on the walk home, so I told him he'd have to go to time out. This just made his melt down into a full blown I AM TWO TANTRUM.  He sat in the corner crying and I just walked around the house getting dinner together telling him when he was calm he could come out and we'd talk it out.  Then it got quiet, and I thought oh good he is ready. 

Not so.....
 Poor kid had fallen asleep!  I guess I need to remember he does need naps more often and to not over do it. 
Its hard to see but his eyes were red and shirt damp with tears!   So now as I type this up he is currently sleeping and I am going to try and be better mom and tend to this need of his.  He soon will be able to give it up and will be growing up so fast and it will be my tears that will be flowing.   He is just so cute, love you little guy!!

8 comments:

Christi said...

Poor little guy. Alice is the exact same way. She chooses to fall asleep on the floor if she misses her nap. I can't believe that he fell asleep sitting up!

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

They can just shut down can't they when they're pooped! You're a good mom, Dana. Love, limits and naps (and more love) for two year-olds!

John n Shannon said...

That's hilarious and sooo adorable. I guess you never had to talk it out - just sleep it off! Hold on to the naps!! I enjoy them myself even though Addison only gives me an hour at most. :(

Jenny said...

Aww! Sweet sweet G.T. :)

Uncle Pete said...

Peter used to be the same, I've seen him fall asleep in the middle of a conversation. Sometimes they just go until they drop, he still is about as cute as they come, I miss the little guy!!

Judy said...

Just too darn cute!

Darrell and Alissa said...

Aww- poor kid! I thought the damp shirt was drool while sleeping with his mouth open!:)

Raina said...

This is SO cute! He is adorable, and even sweeter when he is sleeping. We are in the same boat.. i'll have to take your lesson and apply it!