Thursday, July 02, 2009

Breaking him in a little at a time...

This time last year I was thinking at any moment I could have a baby, and my fearless 2 year old would be a big brother. The festive Fourth came and I thought Brady was going to love the fire works, I love sparklers to the big finale at a show. Brady um.......not so much. My parents were in town and we were invited over to some friends to have a BBQ and watch them shoot off fireworks. All was well until the show started.
Oh my Brady was terrified! He would not come out side, if we held him he cried, this is the kid who is scared of no one and nothing. But the noise drove him crazy. He wouldn't even touch the sparklers that didn't make noises. Instead he opted for watching the Barbie Princess movie down in the basement of our friends house-by himself. Crushed Brad's ego.
This year we were lucky enough to be invited to watch a show on the 3rd, and the same BBQ on the 4th. My friend even said they have the movie ready for Brady if needs be. So we thought we try and prepare Brady.
We went out and bought some as a family, he was digging it! He found this really big "rocket" as he called it and wanted to immediately set it off.













We didn't want to scare him so we started him off with the least of the scary ones. We did the pop-its, where you throw them on the ground and they make a small pop. He has a new love for them. Would laugh and go wild. So we knew we were on the right track.
Then we decided to try the sparklers and see if he'd freak. But no he is totally loving it! Sorry these are all blurry, we have a firework mode the camera and I"m still trying to figure it out. Hopefully it will get better by the Big Day.
























The moment of truth....



This year we are hoping no movies will be needed.....

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Hahahaha....fireworks boot camp...so proud of him. Looks like we won't be busting out Barbie this year! I have a feeling it will be Bryce's turn to hunker down in the basement with the princesses. :)

Christi said...

Yeah! I am glad that he liked them. I am excited to see what they think of the 4th this year!!!

Judy said...

I just remember how he talked about the loud fireworks the whole time I was out there. Anytime we would hear a loud noise he would say fireworks and get so scared. Your toddler has turned into a little boy. I'll miss you guys this year. Enjoy the bbq.
Mom

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Dana, how'd it go the last couple of nights with all the big noises? I hope Brady got into the 4th. I know you did sparklers last night. Keep us posted! Love you, Mom/Nat

Raina said...

I think there is this funky age where they are scared... cause we were the same. I'm so glad he liked them... and you are so cute to ease him into fireworks with the sparklers. Happy 4th