Wednesday, June 24, 2009

For the love of Huggies!

So I love a good deal, anyone who knows me knows this small fact about me. And since I live in the Land of Walmart you'd think I'd be getting good deals all the time right? Well I tried this weekend and I was irritated to no end- why you ask? Let me explain.
Saturday night I went to Target after work to get some Huggies Pull ups, which are normally more expensive than diapers but I had a sweet deal, Target had them on sale and then I had 3- $3.00 coupons off AND if you bought 3 packages you'd get a 5 dollar gift card for free. So they would end up being a little less than 5 dollars a package, less than regular diapers. Target was out of them. Dang you Target! So I think well I can go to Walmart to do some grocery shopping and get them there since Walmart price matches. Won't be as great but still a semi good deal. I go to the one closest to my house, its a mess! They are remodeling the place so everything is in the a different isle and no one knows where things use to be. Everyone is wandering around looking for random items, I feel like I'm in outer darkness I'm pretty sure there was weeping, whaling and saw some gnashing of the teeth. I finally get our food and head to the check out, I pick a lane where there is this elder lady is checking some people out. I quickly realize as I put all of my stuff on the belt that she is s-l-o-w! And at the same time realize, THE DIAPERS! So I say politely to the lady, "Excuse me I forgot one thing do you mind if i run to go and get it?" She was still not finished ringing them up and said,'"Oh sure no problem" So off I go literally running through the store grabbed the packages and back to the lane. Right as I get back the people are paying and she was handing them their receipt. So I laid the packages down and tell her, I'd like to price match these please. She snickers and says, " And I waited for you." What?! Oh Great she wasn't waiting at all! So I stay calm and hand her the ad from Target. She looks at the packages and says slowly , "Now these are Learning Designs....." No they aren't they are HUGGIES, they just say as part of the advertisement they have "learning designs" on them if the kid pees in them they fade away. So I try to politely as I can say and point, " These are Huggies and here is the add for Huggies" I matched it up for her. She shakes her head, and says, "Yeah, I see I see....I learned to read." Wow- I wasn't trying to insult her, I just wanted to clear it up.
So she gave me the price and rings up the rest of my stuff, I handed her my coupons at the end and then she stops talking to me, reading the fine print I'm guessing. Time passes its starting to get awkward. Then she waves her hand at me and says I"ll be back! And walks over to another guy. Her back is to me.....great I think what is her problem? Does Walmart tell their cashiers that they can not give people good deals? Do they threaten their family? Tell them if they let someone use a coupon they will suffer unspeakable consequences? I hear the guy he's facing me, he's telling her it should be ok. That the computer will let her know if its "Legal" by the way its totally legal! I do it all the time. Time again passing by, the lady behind me is trying to keep her 10 year old busy by this time. I start drumming my fingers......
The crotchy old lady comes back and says, "He's not sure if I can do this because I already priced match for you, but to go ahead. " I say as sweetly as possible "Oh I've done this before it has always worked out." Then she hands me the coupon with scissors and says, "you can just hand me a piece of paper cut it out." Ok this is so dumb, why is she mad at me? The coupon had been printed out and I didn't realize I had made a cardinal sin of not cutting it out. So I cut the bottom of the paper off and hand it to her. "NO, No not good enough, cut it ALL THE WAY out" she says. At this point I laughed, I couldn't help it. Why was she doing everything in her power to make this so difficult? Its paper! So I cut it out the very best of my ability, my kindergarten teacher would have been proud. And hand them to her. She takes them and scans them they go through no problem. I take my things and run out of there, swearing about Walmart and wishing I was back in Utah where they have real grocery stores! Please someone help me understand why people see someone else succeeding and want to strip them of that? I must not understand the way Walmart works, apparently they give good prices and don't want you to get a dime better and those checkers are responsible for making sure that happens. Someone help me understand?!!!!


P.S. Big bro this songs for you.

13 comments:

De Anne said...

Sorry you had that experience. Since it used to be my job to train the cashiers, I can assure you that isn't the Wal-Mart way. However, some cashiers don't seem to get it. The customer is first. They feel like all customers are trying to rip off the company and they personally are going to stop it. If you have the cashiers name, or her cashier number (from your receipt) it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to call the store and visit with the store manager. We had to do this the other day about an assistant manager that had a similar attitude.

Darrell and Alissa said...

So funny, but not so funny! That is so irritating!! I am also TOTALLY annoyed with all the stuff being moved! I am trying to keep my shopping trips as quick as possible with this new baby and all my other kids home- but it's not possible when I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!!!
Oh, and I know that lady would be in trouble for her actions- customer is suppose to alwasy come first.

Judy said...

Dana, Glad you didn't tell her what to do with her scissors:) If you really want to irritate them just be super happy and sappy about the situation. It makes their day if you get irritated. You might be seething inside, just stay all sugary sweet on the outside. I'm at least glad you got the deal!
Mom

Lacey said...

Very kind of you to not make her feel like an idiot, because I would have said may I see a manager please and complained my head off. It does stink to have only Wal-mart around. By the way, where did you get the coupons? I might have to do it as well and make sure of course I have everything cut up.

Howe's in Arkansas said...

I agree -- too funny!!! Doesn't it make you just want to spit nails? Good job keeping your cool.

Dana said...

I just laugh about it now......at the time, I wanted to yell at her! But my mom taught me to be cool under pressure and blog about it later!! Ha haa!

Alicia Rivoli said...

I would complain, that is not acceptable. I try really hard to not even have a conversation with the cashier's, it just annoys me. Sorry you had such a bad time.

Raina said...

ooo... this just gets me! These little old ladies have all the time in the world to stew up ideas of how to be irritating AND slow!!! I might have died! Good job of staying cool under the pressure!

Anonymous said...

This bugged me just reading it. I would be so irritated!

Sandra and Brent said...

I hate Walmart . . . there . . . I said it. I truly hate Walmart. I can never find anything (it's bigger than an airport hangar), I can never find anyone to help me AND when I DO find someone they never know where anything is! Augghhh! Did you start thinking maybe you were asleep and having a Walmart nightmare? I hope by sharing this, it has reduced the trauma for you! Love ya, Sandra

adamf said...

Thanks for the laugh! During that bit about the scissors I wanted to tell the lady "yes I learned how to cut."

Melissa Hodgen said...

Dana Dana Dana. I laughed, I got frustrated, and I cheered you on for your patience and humor. What can I say, I'm proud of you for keeping your head and not tearing off hers. Wish I could lend some insight, but it looks like you've paid your dues and it will be short lines with speedy checkers in your future.

Oh, on a side note...I watched my wedding video today and I really miss you now. Sad.

Nicole said...

Wow! What a pain. Way to handle it nicely!