Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Dad is Bigger than Your Dad


Brady had preschool today and afterwards I thought I take him out for lunch, my treat. Him, the younger bro and me went to his favorite place. As soon as he sees it he yells, "Chik-A-FWAY!" Its packed but we grab a seat near the play ground and chow down. Chocolate milk gone in 10 seconds flat. Chicken nuggets eaten and off he goes to play. The younger brother and I finish up and join him in the play area. This is where things got interesting. Lots of kids are in there all about the boys ages. Brady is usually instantly friends with who ever is in there, even if they don't realize it themselves. Until today.......

There is a section at the top of the playground that has a propeller and looks like a plane, my son he's not into planes now he's a pirate through and through and promptly turned it into a ship. He was the captin. The little Blonde girl his age did not approve. They began yelling at each other over what it was. Then it was just a yelling match. I didn't know at first who was doing all that yelling, then I realized it was Brady. I'm looking around for this little girls mom and she is no where to be found. Her parents have the "older" siblings watching her. Her older brother who I think is around 6 and an older sister sitting in a corner engrossed in a video game pretty sure she didn't know what planet she was on.

Anywho, the older brother sees Brady and her yelling at each other and decides to step in. As all protective brothers should. I tell Brady please stop yelling at each other and just play. My son is a tad on the stubborn side so the following conversation took place:

Big kid who could stomp on Brady:" Stop yelling at my sister- this is plane."

Brady"NO ITS NOT. I said its a ship!"

Big kid,"um..NO its not its a plane and she can be on it."

Brady,"NO ITS A SHIP! And its for boys only."

Big kid" Who says? Did YOU make this playground?" (Very accusingly like he knew he didn't.)

Brady in a know it all tone"YES I DID! And I say its a ship!"

Kid confused," YOU? You made this playground?"

Brady "Yes."

Then it got personal.


Big Kid" Well, my dad is the biggest and he says we all can play on it!"

Brady, "NO MY DAD IS THE BIGGEST and he says its a ship."

(I'm laughing at this point.)

Big Kid,"My dad is the fastest and he says she can play on it."

Brady, "No my dad is the fastest and its a ship. My mom said so. "


Brady truly puts me at awe sometimes, he's not afraid of anyone. He didn't see this bigger, older boy as an obstacle or a threat. He defended his idea and wasn't going to be talked down. He knew what he wanted and wasn't going to give up just because someone yelled in his face. I wish I could be that brave sometimes. Don't you?

We celebrated over ice cream.

Oh yeah and I saw his Dad as they were leaving.....he was a big guy but my husband could have taken him =)


7 comments:

Jenny said...

THAT is hilarious. I'm glad Brady is so brave, but hope he doesn't get stomped on someday! What did Brad have to say about this?? :)

Judy said...

How funny! I love that he can turn anything into a ship. Great imagination.
Mom

Christi said...

I am sure Brad could have taken him! I love Brady. Great imagination. I wonder where he gets this stubbornness from hmmmmmmmmm ...

Familia Morales said...

Oh I love it! He's such a funny boy!

noelle said...

awesome. soooooo awesome.

Bear of Very Little Brain said...

Okay, you got Kent rockin' and rolllin' with laughter, and me too. What a great kid. I'm with your mom - he's got a good imagination. Yeah, don't want him to get stomped! :) Mom/Nat

Melissa Hodgen said...

Oh, the drama that occurs within Chick Fil A playgrounds. I love that you go to witness that! Brady sounds like a an oldest child. We sould put Shannon and him in one of those rooms with the mirror/window and just what their war of words.