Friday, February 26, 2010

Our challenge update

So its has been almost a whole month, and I thought I'd tell you how we have done thus far. Excellent! I'm happy to say that neither me or my other half has had a sip of soda in the frigged month of February. And our bank statement clearly shows NO FAST FOOD. If it has a drive threw window we have not stopped there and eaten. Not one french fry has touched our lips.




And to be honest, the soda thing was a piece of cake. For me anyhow, one night we did go out to eat at a sit down restaurant and my husband collapsed across from me and I asked him if he knew what he wanted. He said, "A coke" ouch that bad of a day huh? Still he refrained and got a lemonade instead. Way to hang in their babe.


So because this was so easy I asked my self what more can I do? Well, we now have free range chicken eggs in our fridge and we tried to find chicken that had no antibiotics, or hormones given to them. I also tried to find beef the same way. Can I just tell you this is the part about living in a smaller town that stinks? I found one place that had chicken like that, it was $7.00 a pound! I knew it would be more but really? You can buy a 3 pound bag of chicken at Walmart for $6.75 right now. So buying this kind of chicken would kill my budget. If any of my local friends know where to go, please point me in the right direction.


So what is a girl to do? Well, we now only eat meat 2 times a week. And fish has become more apparent in our diet as well. Other than that I just have to throw my hands up and say hey I tried right? Sorry but our beef has stuff in it I wish it did not, and unless I put my own chickens in my back yard we are just going to have to deal with the ones we got. And I think my neighbors would have a problem with the chickens....


8 comments:

Christi said...

We have been doing so well too!!! We didn't do any soda, but still no fast food! I think Reagan was going through cheese-roll up withdrawals!!!

Alicia Rivoli said...

I think Harps has "No Solution Added" Chicken, but I'm not sure what the price is. Also you can go to a rancher and ask to buy a cow, and by this I mean the meat. You could probably find an organic rancher somewhere in the area.

Judy said...

Just make the best choice of what's out there. Continue to educate yourself and learn, then do the best you can. Good job!
Love, Mom

Familia Morales said...

We get the Harvestland chicken at walmart. It's cage-free, vegetarian fed chickens, no hormones...all that stuff.

Way to be on the no soda/no fast food thing. We definitely could use that challenge at our house! :)

Dana said...

Melissa,
I just found that kind this past weekend. Its still $5.00 a pound but cheaper than the Bentonville Butcher. This time i got three pieces of chicken!!! Haa haa.
I also saw this really disapointing article in the paper that there are no cow farms in the state that are cage free. They are all factory farming. Dang you arkansas!

Chelsie said...

Hey Dana! It is fun to find your blog and I always love a post about food! You are doing teriffic, I just had to say it!

I have also been looking for free range meat and also raw whole milk.

Isn't there a family that owns a farm in our ward where we could like, split a half cow or something???

That would be so neat!

Melissa Hodgen said...

A+ for effort. I think I'm most impressed with the no fast food and the meet 2 times a week. I think the troops would revolt over hear.

oh, what are cheese rolls?

On another, I can't wait to see you in 2 weeks. Crazy!

Raina said...

I'm seriously impressed! Way to go! We need to catch up on the phone soon. I need to hear more about how this really went down, and I just want to hear you! Way to go!!