Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Potty Whisperer

This is my sister we like to call her The Potty Whisperer she came to visit back in November, and she preformed a miracle. She got Brady to go on the potty alot, she got him to keep his diaper dry! She is the fun aunt who has nerves of steal and make the lamest things fun. Unfortunately she does not live here and I was left trying to maintain her speed, and motivation. This was not an easy task, I'm just mom, unexciting, desperate and pleading with him to keep this all up. After staying on the task for a week and half he was so there. He knows how to go, he just won't. One day in particular he had drank a bunch of water earlier and I knew he needed to go but he would not. The fighting and begging, and power struggle began. I was near tears and he is sitting on the potty, when he finally yells at me, "YOUR CRAZY!'" And stomps defiantly with no pants on away from the toilet. Broken down I sat on the bed crying and ready to give it all up. Lucky for me that night I attended a baby shower with the most amazing women! Because my friends asked me how it was going after I told them what happened they bestowed upon me the best advice ever! They shared their stories of struggles and heart break of their first child. Alissa, has 4 daughters and her first had a horrible time trying to teach her oldest (check out her blog, its on the list to the right). My other friend who has 5 kids (please Christie start a blog you have some much wisdom to share!) had a hard time with her son as well. They both looked at each other with that wise look and told me to simply:stop. Yup, that's it stop all that I am doing. Put him in a pull up or diaper and say you go when you need to go and let it go. No more timers, or parties when he goes, no nagging or asking AT ALL, just let him be in charge. If he starts to take charge and going put him in underwear and if he has accidents throw them out. No mercy cleaning, no negotiations, in the trash. At first I wasn't sure what if he completely regressed and we were back to square one? So with a HUGE leap of faith the next day I did as I was told and stopped. Praying and pleading with the Lord that I could not handle this potty training journey any more. And another miracle was preformed, he started telling me when he needed to go. This was huge to me! After a week of keeping the diaper dry he was in underwear. We have accidents but days go by with no accidents, DAYS! I am so glad that my sister was able to have jump started him and that I was smart enough to listen to my friends when they could clearly see he knew how it was just a power struggle and had the guts to tell me to back off! Thank you Thank you!


Now about accidents.....
this one was at a store, I had no extra pants!!! He decided to run a way from me and pee and poop in the pants he was wearing, and this wasn't a little drip, a slip up if you will . This was I am going to hold it for HOURS and then let a tidal wave of pee coming down my legs and make a puddle on the floor. A carpeted floor mind you so that my territory is marked and I will forever be known in this place. I marched him to the bathroom and took his pants off, and had only a diaper to march him out in. Lovely, the stares and muffled laughter that was shot my way. As I lead a ticked off son yelling, "But I want to go to cub scouts!" Apparently he thought he should show up to my husbands cub scout meeting that was going on that night looking like this.....
But we are not giving up this fight, I believe we may have lost the battle but the war is ours!

6 comments:

Tim and Stacey Cardon said...

Oh my! Sorry I had to laugh! I loved how you put that he had to "mark his territory"! This is one thing I am NOT looking forward to.

Jenny said...

I love the beanie and bare legs. Brad was telling me the story on the phone and I was dying! Poor Brady. He'll get there Dana, don't give up!

Judy said...

At least he looks cute in his picture! Relax, it will come.
Mom

Darrell and Alissa said...

Dana I'm so glad things are getting better! I think potty training is the HARDEST part of parenting! I'd take months of leepless nights over the battle of the wills that happens with potty traing! You are doing great- and he really will do it- I promise!

Uncle Pete said...

He must take after his cousin Peter and is going to be a wrestler, they are always running around in their underwear even at 18!!!

Raina said...

This is the worst! You are not alone. I have the fear of doing this whole process again, but I know that your friends are right. You will get there!
We need to catch up soon. I hope you have a Merry (accident free) Christmas!